Wednesday 4 May 2011

FPTP is actually the most complex system

A bit late in the debate but it occurred to me that first past the post is actually the most complicated of the various electoral systems. This may seem odd, but hear me out.

All the systems - AV, FPTP and proportional systems are easy to use as a voter. The problem is the thought that is needed. Voting under AV or PR requires little extra thought - you make your choice or choices. Under FPTP, however, most votes are unikely to count because it is a safe seat or the voter supports a party that must lose. So you have all these thoughts to contend with. Shall I bother ? If I do bother what gives me the best chance of affecting the outcome, voting for my first choice or voting tactically. That's not easy.

Despite what has been said there are virtually no tactics involved in AV. Just make your first choice, then your second and a third if it takes your fancy. What can be difficult ?

Too late though. Its a No tomorrow. Blame the coalition for that, I think, not the system.




http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Colleges/Government---Politics.aspx?mRef=CNM01.

2 comments:

Ariza said...

Sir, could you please let me know how I would get an e-inspection of your new AS textbook? Guess you don't allow students to approach it ! Exams are near, so I wanted to just check it out ! Thank you.

Neil McNaughton said...

Hi Ariza,

You need to log on to this link to the publisher :


http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Colleges/Government---Politics.aspx?mRef=CNM01.

Hope this helps

thanks Neil